NOTICE TO TRUCKERS: Traffic lanes through the construction zone are only 10 feet wide, with shoulders just one (1) foot wide, and lanes curve through tight construction areas. Truckers are strongly urged to use an alternative route of Woodmen Road and Union Boulevard to avoid the project’s tight confines.
Overview: This important project replaces an aging, substandard bridge, bringing the structure up to modern safety standards, and completes an important connection on the Cottonwood Creek Trail. The design process began nearly two years ago. The project team studied multiple options of replacing or rehabilitating the bridge, and where to have the trail cross both Academy Boulevard and the creek. Public input was a critical element of the decision process, including a public meeting in May 2016, where some 80% of respondents favored or accepted the new trail extension under the south side of the bridge.
- The existing bridge will be replaced in three phases, keeping two lanes of traffic open in each direction at all times.
- Access to businesses on Academy Boulevard will be maintained at all times.
- Sidewalk will be added on the northbound side of Academy. The present bridge has no northbound sidewalk.
- The project will extend the Cottonwood Creek Trail westward under the new Academy Boulevard bridge, on the south side of the creek. Approximately 300 feet south of the bridge, the trail will cross Cottonwood Creek via a pedestrian bridge, connecting to the segment of the trail that runs on the north side.
- New drop structures in Cottonwood Creek will help control erosion and creek flow.
Schedule: Construction is expected to continue into January 2019. All construction is weather and resource-dependent. If you wish to receive regular emails on construction progress and impacts, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Budget: $7 million. The project is funded by multiple sources, primarily the PPRTA (Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority). The trail portion of the project is funded by Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services.
George Hayward, 719-314-5018; email@example.com. Your call or email will be returned within one business day.