OVERNIGHT CLOSURE OF ACADEMY BOULEVARD, NIGHTS OF OCT. 17 AND 18
Detours in Effect 8 p.m. – 5 a.m. Each Night for Girder Placements
Academy Boulevard will be temporarily closed to thru-traffic from Dublin Boulevard to just south of Brookwood Avenue/York Road from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the nights of Monday, Oct. 17, and Tuesday, Oct. 18.
The closures are necessary to install concrete girders on the west side of the new Academy Boulevard bridge under construction over Cottonwood Creek. The girder placements mark a significant milestone in the project.
Detours around the closure will be clearly marked. Flagging crews and police will be present to guide motorists.
- Southbound Academy Boulevard detour*: Exit Academy at Woodmen off-ramp; east to Union Boulevard or west to Vincent Drive; south to Dublin Boulevard, then back to Academy.
*Local traffic and emergency vehicles southbound heading to Brookwood Avenue and York Road will be allowed past the detour.
- Northbound Academy Boulevard detour: Traffic will be detoured at Dublin. Motorists can go east to Union Boulevard or west to Vincent Drive; north to Woodmen Road, then back to Academy.
All construction is weather and resource-dependent.
Location: The bridge is located on North Academy Boulevard, where it crosses Cottonwood Creek just south of the intersection with York Road / Brookwood Drive.
NOTICE TO TRUCKERS: Traffic lanes through the construction zone are only 10 feet wide, with shoulders just one (1) foot wide, and lanes curve through tight construction areas. Truckers are strongly urged to use an alternative route of Woodmen Road and Union Boulevard to avoid the project’s tight confines.
Overview: This important project replaces an aging, substandard bridge, bringing the structure up to modern safety standards, and completes an important connection on the Cottonwood Creek Trail. The design process began nearly two years ago. The project team studied multiple options of replacing or rehabilitating the bridge, and where to have the trail cross both Academy Boulevard and the creek. Public input was a critical element of the decision process, including a public meeting in May 2016, where some 80% of respondents favored or accepted the new trail extension under the south side of the bridge.
- The existing bridge will be replaced in three phases, keeping two lanes of traffic open in each direction at all times.
- Access to businesses on Academy Boulevard will be maintained at all times.
- Sidewalk will be added on the northbound side of Academy.
- The project will extend the Cottonwood Creek Trail westward under the new Academy Boulevard bridge, on the south side of the creek. Approximately 300 feet south of the bridge, the trail will cross Cottonwood Creek via a pedestrian bridge, connecting to the segment of the trail that runs on the north side.
- New drop structures in Cottonwood Creek will help control erosion and creek flow.
Schedule: Construction is expected to continue into Spring 2019. All construction is weather and resource-dependent. If you wish to receive regular emails on construction progress and impacts, email email@example.com.
Budget: $7 million. The project is funded by multiple sources, primarily the PPRTA (Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority). The trail portion of the project is funded by Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services.
George Hayward, 719-314-5018; firstname.lastname@example.org. Your call or email will be returned within one business day.