On March 27, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) was signed into law to help communities respond to the coronavirus pandemic. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), one of the many agencies to deliver the funding, announced its first phase of emergency funding to formula grantees. For the first phase, the City of Colorado Springs will receive approximately $2.7 million dollars through the CDBG and ESG programs. For the second phase, the City will receive approximately $5 million in ESG funds.
CARES Community Development Block Grant (CDBG-CV) funds: $1,811,610
CDBG-CV funds are to prevent, prepare for, and respond to the coronavirus pandemic and its effects on low-income households and communities. These funds are gap-filler funding and must not replace SBA, FEMA, or other available funds.
CARES Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG-CV round 1) funds: $887,124
CARES Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG-CV round 2) funds: $5,097,279
ESG-CV funds are to be used to prevent, prepare for, and respond to the coronavirus pandemic among individuals and families who are homeless or receiving homeless assistance. They can also support additional homeless assistance and homelessness prevention activities to mitigate the impacts of COVID-19.
Staff is currently reviewing applications for Round 1 funding from eligible local non-profits and other public agencies who serve low-income communities affected by the virus. The Community Development Division team is currently working with local partners and agencies to assess immediate and future needs, as well as to determine the most effective way to distribute all other funds to eligible service providers. Housing stability and critical services, such as food and family services that keep households safe (e.g., childcare, eldercare, etc.), are high priorities. Agencies interested in applying are encouraged to document all COVID-related expenses dating back to January 21, 2020 and subscribe for updates from CDD on reimbursement opportunities.
UPDATED: Thurs., 07/30/2020
Stay up to date
For updates on any of the topics below, please email email@example.com and request to be added to our email list.
- Announcements of requests for ESG-CV and CDBG-CV applications
- Basic eligibility requirements
- New guidance from HUD
- Other local resources
- Opportunities for review and comment of plans, allocations, etc.
See links below to see recent communication from HUD regarding the stimulus package, appropriate usage of funds and various regulatory waivers.
- Quick Guide for CDBG Eligible Activities to Support Infectious Disease Response
- Mar 31, 2020 Memo on Availability of Waivers of CPD Grant Programs and Consolidated Plan Requirements to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 and Mitigate Economic Impacts Caused by COVID-19
- CARES Act Overview
- Jun 20, 2019 Federal Register: Updates to Duplication of Benefits Requirements Under the Stafford Act for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Disaster Recovery Grantees
- Complete list to date of all CARES Act flexibilities/waivers for HUD CPD programs