No Fireworks are Safe!
A fire started by fireworks that threaten or damages property is a crime of arson. Possession, use and/or the sale of fireworks is subject to a fine up to $2,500 and/or up to 189 days in jail. All citations will demand a mandatory court appearance in municipal court. Professional public firework displays are regulated and permitted upon approval from the Division of the Fire Marshal under the city code.
In an effort to keep our community safe, CSFD fire investigators conduct fireworks patrols July 3-5 each year. They confiscate any fireworks that are found and issue citations to those in possession of illegal fireworks. CSFD has set up drop-off boxes for fireworks at all 22 fire stations around town. People are encouraged to voluntarily bring in their fireworks for proper disposal. This is an anonymous drop-off, no questions will be asked and no citations will be issued for bringing in fireworks. We encourage anyone who has old fireworks to drop those off as well.
Action Steps You Can Take
- On Independence Day in a typical year, far more U.S. fires are reported than on any other day, and fireworks account for two out of five of those fires, more than any other cause of fires.
- If you want to see fireworks, go to a public show put on by experts.
- Do not use consumer fireworks.
- Keep a close eye on children at events where fireworks are used.
- The risk of fireworks injury is highest for young people ages 15-24, followed by children under 10.
- In 2013, there were eight deaths and an estimated 11,400 consumers who sustained injuries related to fireworks.
- In 2013, sparklers and rockets accounted for more than 40 percent of all estimated injuries.
Report Illegal Fireworks
- If you hear or witness the use of fireworks being used by a neighbor, call 444-7000.
- Only call 9-1-1 in the event of an injury or fire.
- When you call either of the numbers, ALWAYS stay on the line until a call taker answers.
*Source National Fire Protection Association & Consumer Product Safety Commission
You can download and print this Fireworks Safety flyer.