COS Starts 2020 with 7.9 Percent Increase in Total Passengers

Share this page:

Colorado Springs, CO – For the month of January, the Colorado Springs Airport (COS) enplaned 61,433 passengers, bringing the total passenger number for the month to 122,018, representing a 7.9 percent increase from the same period last year.

While load factors for the month were showing an 8.1 percent decrease from this time last year, seats available in the market were up 18.2 percent in January with all four carriers showing an increase.

Looking Ahead:

Colorado Springs Airport:

·         The Colorado Springs Airport began phase II of the first floor modernization. The rehabilitation project includes new flooring, LED lighting, paint, as well as higher ceilings and updated restrooms. This project is anticipated to be complete by this spring.

·         Construction has been completed on the airport’s latest sustainability project – a solar covered carport in the valet parking lot that houses 36 parking spaces. The carport also has a Level II electric vehicle charging station, with the ability to charge two electric vehicles. The solar photovoltaic system is expected to offset some of the electric energy used by the airport. This pilot solar carport will be in the valet parking lot and will cost an additional $5.00 over current valet rates.

American:

  • Overall, American increased departures in February 2020 by 9.4 percent vs. February 2019, and seats increased by 10.2 percent.
  • The February departure increase was driven by the additional DFW frequency vs. February 2019 and the 1x daily PHX frequency, which did not exist in February 2019. Even with the discontinuation of the AA ORD nonstops, departures and seats increased significantly in February 2020 vs. February 2019.
  • AA ORD 1x daily flights resume on April 7, 2020. The flight departs COS at 12:39pm.

Delta:

  • Delta operated an additional weekly ATL frequency in February 2020 on Tuesdays. In March, Delta will operate 1x daily ATL nonstops every day except Sundays.

Frontier:

  • In February 2020, both Las Vegas and Phoenix departures increased by 86 percent and seats by 92 percent vs. February 2019. This is an additional 19 departures for both LAS and PHX vs. February 2019.
  • March 2020 LAS departures are scheduled to increase by 89 percent and seats by 94 percent vs. March 2019.
    • 2x departures on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays
    • 1x departures on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays (Wednesdays go to 2x beginning March 11 and Saturdays go to 2x beginning March 14)
  • March 2020 PHX departures are scheduled to increase by 67 percent and seats by 71 percent vs. March 2019.
    • 2x departures on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays
    • 1x departures on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays

United:

  • United added an additional DEN frequency in February 2020 vs. February 2019. Approximately 70 percent of the flights were operated with 50 seat regional jets with the remaining 30 percent primarily operated on dual class regional jets with some mainline A319/20 also in the mix.
  • In April 2020, United will be adding an additional LAX frequency vs. April 2019. 3x per day except for Tues/Wed/Sat where it is 2x per day.

When you say ‘YES to COS’ you’re saying ‘please’ to low parking fees and ‘hello’ to hassle free travel. Flying out of the Colorado Springs Airport is the smart choice for easy travel to direct and connecting destinations. COS offers simple parking, easy check-in, and a short drive home.­ Look before you book at FlyCOS.com and say ‘YES to COS!’

 

Subscribe to City News

Get a weekly update of news, events and upcoming public meetings from the City of Colorado Springs.