The City of Colorado Springs is Home Rule. This means the city is authorized to levy and collect its own sales and use tax. These applications & certificates do not cover the Colorado Department of Revenue, cities other than The City of Colorado Springs or counties within the state of Colorado.
- Retailer Engaged in Business in City
- Use of Tangible Personal Property (TPP) in City
- Sales and Use Tax General Information
Certificate & License Applications
Note: Eff. 7/12/2021, all application types are available to file online.
- Application for Sales/Use Tax License
- Application for Sales/Use Tax License Spanish
- Application for Temporary Sales Tax License
- Application for Exemption from City Sales and/or Use Tax
- Application for Commercial Aeronautical Zone (CAZ) Exemption
Selecting a Filing Frequency
If you collect more than $300.00 per month in sales tax or owe more than $300.00 per month in use tax, you are required to file monthly.
- The due date will always be the following 20th of the new month, if the due date falls on a non-business day, the next business day will be the due date for that month.
- Filing Example: Transactions between January 1-31st, tax is due no later than February 20. You have twenty (20) days to file your taxes.
If you collect less than $300.00 per month in sales tax or owe less than $300.00 per month in use tax, you are required to file quarterly. The quarters are listed below, these are fixed. If the due date falls on a non-business day, the next business day will be the due date for that quarter.
- First Quarter: January 1 through March 31st, due April 20th
- Second Quarter: April 1 through June 30th, due July 20th
- Third Quarter: July 1 through September 30th, due October 20th
- Fourth Quarter: October 1 through December 31st, due January 20th
- Filing Example: If a taxable transaction takes place on Feb 2, 2021, the taxes are due April 20, 2021.